[AZ-Observing] Re: FYI - Mars

  • From: "Tom Polakis" <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Reply-To:az-observing"@freelists.org
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:28:13 -0600

Jeff Hopkins wrote:

> NASA Science News for August 7, 2003
>
> The south polar ice cap of Mars is receding, revealing frosty mountains,
> rifts and curious dark spots.  Got a telescope?  You can see it
yourself.

Another thing to see for yourself are the recent changes in the north
polar region.  There is a small, bright feature, which is not the polar
cap, rather, it is ground frost that has been forming.  It appeared this
morning as a brighter part of the limb haze that has been a prominent
feature on the "non-gibbous" limb since we've been looking.

Tom