[AZ-Observing] FW: YOU'RE INVITED | 2013 Annual Shoemaker Lecture | 10/1/13 @ 7pm

  • From: "Rick Tejera" <SaguaroAstro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:56:18 -0700

For those who are interested.

Rick Tejera (K7TEJ)

Saguaro Astronomy Club

www.saguaroastro.org

Thunderbird Amateur Radio Club

www.w7tbc.org

From: beyond1 - To send mass e-mails regarding upcoming events and lectures
for the Beyond Center. [mailto:BEYOND1@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Adriana Fontes
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 13:12
To: BEYOND1@xxxxxxx
Subject: YOU'RE INVITED | 2013 Annual Shoemaker Lecture | 10/1/13 @ 7pm

The BEYOND Center is pleased to announce
The 2013 Annual Eugene Shoemaker Memorial Lecture
Tuesday, October 1st, 2013 | 7:00pm |  MUR 101, ASU Main
"Humanity's Place in a Very Strange Universe."

Presented by David Brin

Award-winning science fiction author

 <http://beyond.asu.edu/lecture/2013-annual-shoemaker-lecture-david-brin>
RSVP HERE!

ABSTRACT: Our compulsion to make "sense of it all" used to be satisfied by
myths and faith. Today, we probe for evidence that leads in surprising
directions. As we learn about the intelligence of higher animals, the
uniqueness of human sapience stands out. Just when we seem mentally ready to
meet alien life, the cosmos suddenly looks stark and empty. New technologies
may enhance... or replace... our definitions of personhood.  And iconoclasts
offer the disturbing theory that "the universe is all a simulation."  Four
hundred years after Giordano Bruno was burned for asking questions like
these, are we bound upon the greatest adventure of all?

This is a free event, open to the public.
 <http://beyond.asu.edu/lecture/2013-annual-shoemaker-lecture-david-brin>
RSVP HERE!

ADRIANA FONTES | Program Manager | BEYOND Center for Fundamental Concepts in
Science | Arizona State University | P.O. Box 871504 | Tempe, AZ  85287