[AZ-Observing] FW: RE: Re: The Web Cam

  • From: "Tom Polakis" <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 11:24:14 -0700

To add to Wil's input, here is what Chris Schur had to say regarding the
high price tag on CCD cameras.

Tom

From: PHXJeff@xxxxxxx
To:  az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  [AZ-Observing] Re: The Web Cam

>The web cam Tom spoke of last night and the web site he cites below
brings to
>my mind something I have been wondering about for some time. Why are
>astronomical CCD's so expensive? One can get a digital camera at a
descent
>price with megapixels in the range of astronomical  CCD's that cost
thousands
>of dollars more. The web cam Tom talked about last night has a pixel size
of
>only 5.3(6?), which is about as small as you can get, as Tom mentioned.
>
>What is the cause of the high price for astronomical CCD's? Is it the
small
>market, the additional machining that has to be done given the small
market,
>the specialized software that has to be written and supported? Or could
it be
>that the high cost of astronomical CCD's got established before digital
>cameras took off that, had they taken off a lot sooner, would have had
the
>effect of possibly depressing the cost of astronomical CCD's?

I too wonder about this. I picked up several B&W QuickCams for less than
$20 each. The CCD Cookbook kit uses the same detector and when done will
cost nearly $200. I have a Meade Pictor which cost $700 and while it had
a cooler and many other features, it is terribly slow and I think it also
uses the same detector as the QuickCam (at least the one I have).

Jeff

                          Jeff Hopkins
                            HPO SOFT
    Phoenix, Arizona                      Atlanta, Georgia
  7812 West Clayton Drive               12170 Boxwood Circle
Phoenix, AZ 85033-2439 U.S.A.        Alpharetta, GA 30005 U.S.A.
   (623) 849-5889 (Fax)               (770) 619-3322 (Phone/Fax)

www.hposoft.com & amug.org/~hposoft    dataman.home.mindspring.com
                        4th Dimension Partner
                        FileMaker Pro Expert

   BASIC/C++ Programmer & Web Site/e-commerce Site Development
Over 25 years of Computer, Programming and Database Development Experience

-------- END FORWARDED MESSAGE --------

-------- END FORWARDED MESSAGE --------