[AZ-Observing] Estrella Park Star Party

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 08:23:36 -0700

Last night was a lovely night. There were about 40 people who hiked
up to the observing site. I could have used more scopes. All I had
was my 13.1" DOB. The Moon was lovely. With the Earth shine you could
easily see Moon City lit up near the dark edge away from the
terminator. M42 was magnificent as well as Saturn. I used my
binoculars  (8 X 50) to show the Pleiades and Orion nebula. People
are always amazed at what can be seen with binoculars. The finale was
the star test in the Big Dipper, Mizar. Most seemed to really have a
great time.

On a side note, those interested in variable stars, zeta Aurigae is
nearing the end of its eclipse. It is currently at a minimum and
should be egressing the second week of April. It has noticeably
dimmed in comparison with eta and epsilon Aurigae. For more
information the latest Epsilon Aurigae Campaign Newsletter #11 is now
available at http://www.hposoft.com/Campaign09.html

Jeff
--
Jeff Hopkins