[AZ-Observing] Errors in information

  • From: "Gary Frey" <gfreynpo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 20:12:59 -0700

It would seem to me that some appropriate information is required regarding
these e-mails.

1st:

I don't think I ever made the statement that "I was disappointed in the quality
of the polar drive on Richards telescope". Richard & I spent a lot of time in
the observatory talking about his scope and the machinery gears he used on the
polar axis. I knew that the photographs he took using the 16" scope were taken
on the same mount. He explained that he had to constantly guide and correct the
tracking to get good pictures. I have a set of some of the original pictures he
took and they are hanging on the wall.

Richard used a 1P21 photometer with his 20"f20 scope. The linier area of his
detector was much larger than my SSP-3 Photometer. Therefore any slight
tracking problems were not a problem when using the 1P21 Photometer. When I put
my SSP-3 on his scope the linier area of my photodiode was 16 arc. sec. and
keeping the star in that small linier field was a challenge. I used this
instrument for 5-years before I moved to Mayer and if I truly thought that the
quality of his drive was poor, I would have rebuilt it. However, I still use
the drive he built and it works fine when used with the proper instrument.

2nd:

I did not "replace the mirror in the Lines with new optics". The scope was a
20"f/20 which resulted in a very small linier area of my photodiode as
mentioned above. When I moved to Mayer and brought my 20"f/10 open truss fork
mount Classical Cassegrain from Michigan for CCD work. After a while I decided
that Richards 20"f/20 needed an f/10 system. So, I pulled out the mirrors and
sent them to be redone. The glass in the scope is the original glass that
Richard used (3" thick primary and same secondary).

The machinery gear drive works great with the f/10 system and I have just
completed the 3-year photometry program of Epsilon Aurigae with Richards's
scope.

Gary Frey

Gene,
I am also glad to hear that Evered is still around. When I lived in the
north valley Evered lived about 3 miles from me. He was a real trip to talk
to. I did not know that Gary Frey replaced the mirror in Dick Lines
telescope. I met Gary once when Lloyd Horton and I went to Mayer to see
Gary. I remember him making the comment that he was disappointed in the
quality of the polar drive on the telescope. I told him that he has to
remember that telescope was built in the 1960's era when one had to make his
own telescope parts because you could not just make a phone call and order
them.

Ken Sikes