[AZ-Observing] Re: Eridanus Goodies

  • From: "Matt Luttinen" <mluttinen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:53:36 -0700

Steve, Joe, and everybody;

It might be interesting to think of the original Herschel observations =
in
terms of FOV. I do not know the history of Herschel's work, but I know =
he
used a variety of instruments. Steve, is there one particular scope =
Herschel
used for a majority of his observations? Did he publish magnification? =
If
so, is it known what sort of EP (single lens I would imagine) he =
favored? If
this info is known it would be possible to figure his typical FOV. I bet =
it
was pretty narrow.

I also bet we would all be horrified at the image quality produced by =
his
optics. This makes his (and Caroline's) accomplishments all the more
astounding.

Excuse me while I go admire my Meade and Nagler EPs. We are so lucky to =
live
in a technological age.

Matt