[AZ-Observing] Re: Eridanus Goodies

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:09:22 -0700

Joe;

Over the years I have always tried to use about the same power as the
original observations in the NGC.  William Herschel used a power of 157X for
his observations so that he would be consistent.  My observations have been
with several telescopes, so I can't be that consistent, but I can say that I
have always made those observations at something between 100X and 200X.  I
was internally consistent with each scope.  So that, with the 13 inch it was
always at 100X, and with the new Nexstar 11 inch it has been at 125X, same
as with my old 17.5 inch Dobsonian.

I know it is an opinion, but it seems to be a pretty repeatable opinion and
I have found it to be helpful as a method of being able to compare my
observations to previous observers.

Hope that helps;
Steve Coe

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org