[AZ-Observing] Equipment assessments

  • From: Michael Collins <cal_donley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 10:33:32 -0700

Explore Scientific 4.7 mm 82 degree Eyepiece

  I do some public astronomy and my 102 mm triplet refractor is a good
telescope for this type of thing. It works really well with a 7 mm
Nagler for planetary views, but at 100 x they're still pretty small. The
ES eyepieces turn up on the used market now and then, and I've been
thinking of getting something in the 5 mm f.l. range to increase
magnification a bit. If you have used this particular eyepiece,
particularly with a small refractor, I'd be curious to know how well it
works and if it would be worth the typical $80 - $100 market price.

Starizona SCT Corrector
-----------------------

  A combined focal reducer and field flattener. Comparison images on
Starizona's website look impressive, but of course they would. I have
two SCTs, and while I don't do a lot of imaging, the increased aperture
over my refractor is sometimes useful for faint objects. If you've used
one, what did you think?

Astro Tech 0.8x Focal Reducer/Field Flattener

  Designed for f/6 refractors, I'd be using it on my triplet which is
f/7. Astronomics claims this is within the acceptable range. My
refractor works pretty well with an APS-C camera, but the corners could
definitely use a little help. A little wider field wouldn't hurt on
occasion either.

                                -- Mike --
--
cal_donley@xxxxxxx