[AZ-Observing] Envisage

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 10:40:29 -0700

This is for those who can use Envisage, a Meade Product.

My first experience with Envisage was on my Win XP Pro operating system. It was
a nightmare to use for guiding and was unusable. I tried the trial version
MaximDL and it worked but I would have had to buy more of MaximDl than I
needed, in the $565 range if I remember correctly. PHD worked and so I have
been using that for guiding to do spectroscopy. I now have a Win 7 Pro 64-bit
machine and so I had to download Envisage for Win 7 64-bit machines from
Meade’s web site. Last night I checked out PHD and Envisage. Envisage works
like a dream now.  I had no problem whatsoever guiding. Meade must have
reprogrammed part of it because now when it does a calibration it moves a
*large* distance in a number of directions. I really like the "Set Target"
feature of Envisage. When it is calibrated and guiding you click on the "Set
Target" button and then click where you want the target to go. The target is a
cross within a circle. The star then moves to the center of the target. It is
very nice for doing a fine centering of a star over a slit. PHD does not have
this capability and although MaximDl does, it is more involved to do fine
positioning, unless it has been changed to work like Envisage. Compared to
Envisage PHD is clunky to use. Also, PHD is still limited by a small number of
exposure times, and I was again having problems with low signal to noise
ratios. This is a problem because it causes setting where you want to guide
difficult  (the square green box turns into a dotted line square green box) and
when guiding it can lose guiding. So far Envisage seems to work great - like a
charm. I will see of my impression holds up as I use it more.
Stan