[AZ-Observing] Re: End-of-the-World Star Party

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 04:39:42 GMT

15480 Empire Rd.
Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244

It's beautiful down here and pretty steady. I was just observing Saturn and
Porrima in the same field of view in my 13-in telescope, but changed to higher
power to see more detail in both. The double star is gradually widening and
becoming easier to split. I also saw the much more challenging double, alpha
Coma Berenices, which is about 0.6 arcsec separation and readily split it at
the higher magnification (about 400x).The only complaint I have with the
Dobsonian mount is that the position angle of the double stars is difficult to
estimate. I also spotted a few galaxies near Porrima and saw the globulars M53
and NGC 5053 (very low surface brightness) near alpha, and the night has just
begun. Not bad for backyard astronomy!

Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)