[AZ-Observing] Eclipse on Easter Island

  • From: Howard Anderson <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: EVACONLINE <EVAC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, az-obs <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:47:25 -0700

Hi,

I have just posted my Eclipse photos from Easter Island at:
http://www.astroshow.com/Eclipse/Eclipse/Eclipse.htm

My first total eclipse event.  Just used a Canon S3IS camera at
12x zoom on a tripod and got what I think are reasonable images.
Even got the prominances which I initially thought I had missed.
I was not sure of exposure times so bracketed like crazy.  Only
had 4 minutes to get it right...  :-)

I thought about dragging a telescope out there but decided
against it.  In retrospect, that was a really good idea...  Modern
image stabilized cameras with unbelievable zoom (some now
go to 20x or more...) on a tripod are nearly impossible to improve
upon for eclipse imaging...  Just my opinion...  Of course, if you
happen to accidentally have a Keck-type telescope miraculously
right in the path of an Eclipse then you should use it.  :-)  Might
even be such an event in the next half-million years or so...  :-)

High zoom camera example:  "Canon PowerShot SX20IS 12.1MP Digital
Camera with 20x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom
and 2.5-inch Articulating LCD"  I don't have one of these but
probably should have bought one for this trip...  The S3IS
did OK though...

Easter Island Moai images are also available through my
main web page:  http://www.astroshow.com

Also have an answer as to how the Easter Island Moai (statues) were moved
from the quarry to their sites along the coastline.  Natives said
"They walked".  That is very close to the truth apparently:
http://www.astroshow.com/Eclipse/Easter/MoaiWalked.doc

--

Thanks,

Howard, in Tempe AZ