[AZ-Observing] Earthshine and Observing report from last night in Happy Jack

  • From: Chris Schur <comets133@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Az-Observing List <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 17:56:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,
Once the wind died down Saturday night, which had been blowing strong all day,
the sky was left clear, but very hazy from dust.  I set up at our Happy jack
observatory up at 6800 feet elevation for both visual and some imaging.  While
waiting for the moon to set, I watched the Earthshine come out, and it looked
bright despite the fairly large crescent moon.  I tried some HDR images with
the Canon DSLR, and hoped to get a good shot of both the bright part and dim
earth lit part in one shot by shooting a whole series of exposures and
combining later.  Once the moon set, I saw that the sky was very dusty, and did
not look nearly as dark as it normally does.  SQM readings at the zenith with
no obstructions read 21.6 three times in a row.  So I stayed to galaxies near
the zenith that night, and have a few surprise images to show you when I get
the done.  In the mean time, here is the moon shot and a shot of my telescope
up there:

http://www.schursastrophotography.com/xtiastro/earthshine050711.html

Anyone else get in any dusty observing last night?

Clear Skies,

Chris

Schur's Web Portal: http://www.schursastrophotography.com