[AZ-Observing] Re: Eagle Eye this past Sat.

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 06:46:00 -0700

> After I cracked out my 2.5 Barlow for 500X with the 9mm, Lynn and I were
> able to spot the central star in M57 (not M51 - are you sure you are ready
> for the H400, or should you go back again to review the M Objects? :-) )
We
> could have gotten even "stupider" and doubled that power. You were "only"
at
> 45X/inch and I was at 35X/inch with my 14.5". That's rather "low" high
power
> and 100X/inch could very well have been tried with the seeing at 7/8 and
no
> wind in dark skies.

OK, OK,  my excitement overcame my sensibilities.....I was thinking of the
yummy view of M51 through Chuck's scope that lead to the purchase of the
15".  Goes without saying that at 780x, that puppy is haulin' across the
FOV.  Higher powers would be ok on a EQ, but I figure that a dob driver has
half the observing time  due to the constant movement and correction
process.  This could explain why Chuck was able to do it at around 270x at
the Grand Canyon, he didn't have to keep moving the 'scope every 4~5
seconds.  (In agreement with Frank, with regards to conditions...) My next
step up in mag would've been 953x, which I will attempt next time, and then
1905x....Yikes!!  I'd need an EP turret, there's no way I could swap EP's in
time!

Thad

messages.  Thanks.