[AZ-Observing] Re: EVAC/SAC Observing lists in megastar format?

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 21:56:40 -0700

My usual approach is to import into some general purpose program if I
can, then export to the needed format.

Excel works well for this.  Most people have it, it doesn't take any
knowledge of programming or scripting (though I can usually manage that
if I need to), it can import most anything in text format, and you can
build up most any other text format for import into another program.

I usually load the source data into one page of a workbook.  Spot check
the data quickly to see if it imported correctly.  Then use formulas to
generate the export file format in a second worksheet.  This usually
takes a lot of CONCATENATE statements to add formatting, commas and
such.  You usually only have to do one line, then cut and paste for
every other record in the source data.  A cut and paste into Wordpad or
any other text editor or simply a text file save will generally create a
valid file that can be imported by the target application.

It all depends on the import format for Megastar.

Last month I imported 15k stars from the Hipparcos catalog on VisieR
through Excel and into a MySQL database this way with relatively little
trouble. Took about an hour of fiddling to get all the details right
before success.

Andrew

Andrew Cooper