[AZ-Observing] Re: [EVAC] Bright Meteor (Fireball?) at 7:05 pm Tonight!....

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, gregaskins@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 21:39:05 -0700

At 22:08 -0700 11/29/04, AJ Crayon wrote:
>Observations of this meteor are already interesting.  Greg Askin saw it
>from Chandler, AZ and Sheryl Gambardella saw it from Buckeye, AZ.  This
>latter is Buckeye, AZ not Buckeye Rd in Phoenix!  About 40 miles apart
>by my guestimate from the rough positions.
>
>  From Greg's position and SAC's Potporri.txt file, it could be a late
>Pegasid or an early Monocerid.  The former peaking from October 10th to
>November 10th and the latter peaking on December 10th.
>
>Are there more guestimates available?
>
>Clear skies,
>aj
>
>P.S. had some troubles sending this message and you may get it twice,
>sorry for inconvenience.

This is all very interesting and I am by no means a meteor expert,
but would  a meteor travel in a N/S direction? Most meteors that I
know of are swept up by the motion of the Earth through a comets
debris.   If that is so, isn't this more likely to be space junk
rather than a meteor? Since some satellites are launched in a polar
orbit old rocket bodies could create a spectacular reentry.

Jeff
--
Jeff Hopkins
HPO SOFT

  Small minds speak about people * Average minds speak of events
************   Great minds speak of ideas!    ****************