[AZ-Observing] Directions to Saddle Mt. site for Saturday night

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:53:24 -0700

Howdy all;
I put this on SAC-announce and have not seen it, so I will post here.  I
know this has been posted before, but I want everyone to get a copy for the
Saturday night observing session.  I will stop now, I promise.

The site is about the same drive as the old Flatiron site, around an hour to
90 minutes depending on traffic conditions and your starting location.

Once we get there we can hold a conversation if we want this to be the club
site for a low desert spot that is an hour or so from the city.

Advantages:  There is Milky Way overhead and good skies to the west.  It is
only a one hour drive or so to the site.  It is the usual desert pavement so
there is plenty of room for folks and scopes.  This seems to be a rarely
used road, so no headlights-or at least few headlights.  I think it is easy
to find, we can discuss that once we get a good number of people there.

Disadvantages:  There are distant lights from a power station to the south
of Palo Verde, they are distant but obvious.  There are two washes, or dips,
to maneuver through as you get to the site.

Hope to see you there.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

Directions to Saddle Mt. Site

Altitude 1030 Ft.   N 33 21.147   W 112 59.756

Drive west on I-10 to the Wintersburg Rd. Exit, this is Exit 98.  Turn left
(south) over the freeway and you will be driving directly toward the domes
of the Palo Verde Power Station.  Drive for 9.1 miles until you reach a "T"
at Elliot Rd.  Turn right (west) on Elliot Rd.

** For the return trip, notice that Wintersburg Road has become 383rd Ave.**

Drive west on Elliot Rd for 5 miles until you reach mile marker zero.
Careful as you drive along Elliot Rd. there is a severe dip and a cattle
guard that needs to be taken at a SLOW speed.

The road turn sharply right, but you go straight onto a dirt road with
telephone poles on the left side.  There are two dips to negotiate; the
second is the most severe.  Just as you come out of the second dip there is
a 45 degree angle road to the right, take it.  This dirt road is wide and
pretty smooth; it does NOT have the telephone poles on its left side.  After
cresting a small hill travel a total of 0.6 miles from the turn.  There is a
white rock marker and room for lots of telescopes.

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat