[AZ-Observing] Re: Directions to Flatiron

  • From: "Peter Argenziano" <pargenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 23:35:35 -0700

Jim,

Here are directions to Flatiron, previously posted by Steve Coe:

Travel west from Phoenix on I-10 until you get to Exit 103, the 339th Ave.
exit.  Rip Griffin's Truck Stop is at this exit.  Go north (right) on 339th
Ave. for 2 miles and then turn west (left) on Indian School Rd.  Go 2 mi.
and then turn north (right) on 355th Ave.  This road becomes Wickenburg Road
along the way.

Go 12.2 miles.  You will pass "Flatiron" Mountain on the left, hence the
name of the site.  At mile marker 23.3 you will turn east (right) onto a
wide dirt road.  (This road does NOT run along a fence line.  If it does,
you went too far and are on the wrong dirt road.  The correct dirt road is
to the south of the road with the fence.)  If you go too far on Wickenburg
Road, there is a cattle guard and a Bureau of Land Management sign
immediately along the road to let you know you missed the turnoff.

Note your odometer reading when you turn onto the dirt road.  The site is
0.9 miles from the pavement.  The dirt road goes through a wash and the site
is on the left after you have traveled through the wash.  It is a large
area of desert pavement on the left side of the road.  Some white rocks mark
the entrance to the observing site.  The trip is all on hard surface roads,
until you turn onto the dirt road, which is well maintained.