[AZ-Observing] Re: Dew Shield

  • From: gene lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:57:10 -0700

Jeff,
The aluminum flashing idea should work well and will certainly be more
economic than the corresponding commercial dew shield units.  All
conductive (metal) objects radiate heat to the sky at night (presuming
it is clear) and thus stay colder than the surrounding air.  If colder
than the "dew point", moisture will condense.  The dew shield works by
reducing the sky angle that the front of the telescope is exposed to.  I
prefer using some sort of insulating material such as stiff plastic, as
the metal will continue to chill the air in front of the telescope.  In
moist conditions, even a paper grocery sack formed into a tube can be
pressed into service to reduce dewing.
At the SAC meeting tonite I will share with you (and another others
interested) some details of the anti-dew heater I installed on my Meade
SCT years ago.  It uses a coil of "nichrome" wire (actually thin gauge
stainless steel aircraft "safety" wire) in plastic insulating tubing.
It draws about 10-15 Watts of power (about 1 amp) at 12 VDC and keeps
the dew off the corrector plate by warming the air slightly.  Actually
it will evaporate any dew if it has already formed.

Gene
(17250)