[AZ-Observing] Detailed Quadrantids Observing Report

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 9:57:19 -0500

The Quadrantid meteor shower has a sharp peak in activity, and it's rare that
it actually occurs at the optimal time for our longitude.  In most cases, it
occurs either during the daytime or when the radiant is below the horizon.
This year, however, it occurred at 13h UT.  That's 6 a.m. Arizona time, which
is about astronomical twilight.  The radiant would be nearly 60 degrees high in
the northeast.  Other than a Third Quarter Moon, circumstances couldn't be
better.

This morning would be the first and most likely last time that I got out of bed
for the Quadrantids.  At 5 a.m. I went out to the back yard, and watched for 15
minutes.  The total number of meteors that I saw was zero, which matches my
lifetime count of Quadrantids.

Did anybody else watch for meteors this morning?

Tom