[AZ-Observing] Re: Denizens of the Dark

  • From: BillFerris@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 00:03:33 EDT

Jack Jones wrote:
> Jones 1 is one of my favorite objects, don't know why...hmmm. Your first
> paragraph hits the nail on the head: you would think this would be an
> easy find, forming a nice shallow isoc triangle as it does with alpha
> And and beta Peg, and just a bit SE of 72 Peg. The first time I ever
> looked for it I found it right away, but ever after it has always been a
> tussle and took many tries to find the pesky little guy. I like objects
> that take every observing trick and every eyepiece and filter in the box
> to wring out all that can be seen.

As do I. It's like chopping a half-cord of firewood before dinner. The food
always tastes better if you have to work for it :o)

Do you have a UHC filter? I had a>
> chance to compare it with an OIII Saturday and liked the UHC better. I
> wonder if you could have seen more nebulosity in less than your allotted
> 30 minutes? You might want to look into it (pun intended). Perhaps
> extremely dark skies favor the OIII, I don't know, but it would be a
> good experiment with Jones 1 being a good subject. (For relief move over
> to the Helix in Aqr!)

I don't have a UHC. Of course, now that Lumicon has gone belly-up, it's not
likely I'll ever have one. An observing buddy has one and I've used it.
Perhaps if I run across enough objects where the UHC is decidedly better than
the OIII, I'll look into picking up a comparable filter from another maker.

Also, I should provide some background on a comment I made about northern
Arizona skies. My posting was originally composed as a message to SAA. I
often take those observing reports and reformat them slightly for
redistribution to this mail list and the AOL astronomy club.

Given the fact that many amateur astronomers on SAA and AOL don't have
convenient access to dark skies, I thought it appropriate to frame my
observations within the context of the conditions in which they were made.

I certainly didn't intend to imply that observers outside northern Arizona
don't have access to excellent skies. No one has responded to the list or
privately to ask if that is what I meant. Still, I want to head off any
misperceptions that may understandably have arisen.

> Speaking of Pegasus, an update to your and my observations of the galaxy
> trio N7463-64-65 by alpha Peg is warranted. The little one in the center
> off of 7463 is easily visible as a separate entity in my 14.5". I
> believe you originally asked for any observations in smaller apertures,
> so I'm disqualified here, and you're stuck with what I got FWIW! Anyway
> the three show much more nebulosity than the CCD Atlas would have us
> believe (another good reason we actually go observe rather than just
> look at pictures).

Thanks for the feedback. One of these years, I'll have to revisit those
galaxies in Pegasus. But for the time being, I'm still in "find new stuff"
mode.

Best regards,

Bill Ferris
"Cosmic Voyage: The Online Resource for Amateur Astronomers"