[AZ-Observing] Deimos, No Phobos

  • From: "Tom Polakis" <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 08:37:33 -0600

Seeing was worse this morning than yesterday, which was worse than the
night before, when it was only mediocre.  Despite this, Deimos was
visible at 650x in my 10-inch.  Although Phobos is a magnitude brighter,
it is also much closer to the planet.  The light from Mars kept Phobos
hidden from view, even when Mars was hidden beind the high-tech,
Aluminium foil occulting bar.

The article about viewing Martian moons in the August issue of S&T is a
great help.  For a real-time view, Starry Night Pro does a good job
showing the present central meridian and moon orientation when it's not
busy locking up my computer.  Also, Mars Viewer
(http://ringmaster.arc.nasa.gov/tools/viewer2_mar.html) shows the
orientation of the moons at any time.

Tom