[AZ-Observing] David Lunt: Coronado Filters

  • From: "Tom Polakis" <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:29:12 -0700

Thom Peck wrote:

I learned this morning that David Lunt, who started Coronado, passed
away the day before yesterday due to his battle against cancer.
Here's the message:

Dear AOIE Members,

It's with great sadness that I learned yesterday afternoon that David Lunt
of Coronado Filters had passed away the day before, losing his battle to
cancer. In a phone conversation yesterday evening, astrophotographer Jack
Newton, a dear friend of David Lunt and his wife Gerry Hogan, said that
David's work has touched millions of people.

Lunt developed the solar filter for the first orbiting solar telescope,
and had 40 years of experience in the field making filters for
professional research. He then developed H-Alpha telescopes for the
amateur market and started the company Coronado Filters in 1997 based on
his technological advances in solar filter systems.

David originally ran Coronado out of his home in the Chiricahua Mountains
and moved the company to its present Tucson location in 2002. Meade
Instruments purchased the company in 2004.

Lunt's achievements in developing Etalon filtration to view the Sun
changed the hobby for thousands of amateur astronomers. Surely, somewhere
out there are children who are getting better grades, and people of all
ages who are now looking at life in a more positive light because the
views and images of our closest star as seen through his solar telescopes.
In this way David touched the hearts and minds of innumerable people.

David Lunt will be deeply missed. I will keep you informed as more
information becomes available.

Very sincerely,

Scott