[AZ-Observing] Dark Sky's for Arizona...some corrections, mention economic impacts

  • From: "Jennifer Polakis" <m24@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "EVACONLINE" <EVAC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 17:40:49 -0700

Again, I apologize for the length of these messages.  Please muddle through
this one as well and do what you can in writing to the Maricopa County
Association of Governments, your representatives, and friends, cohorts,
co-workers, etc.  If there is a such thing as a more critical time for bringing
back a dark sky, this might be the time...

Thanks to everybody who have made efforts so far in contacting the Maricopa
County Association of Governments Dark Sky Stakeholders Group and their
representatives.  Please let's keep the momentum going.

With regard to the attachment page on the lst Email I sent, please note that
Heidi Bickart no longer works at MAG. I don't know if her Emails are being
forwardedto other MAG personnel, so if you did write her directly, please
forward your message to Nathan Pryor, MAG Intergovernmental Policy Coordinator
at Email address: npryor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 602 254-6300 Maricopa Association of
Governments 302 N 1st Ave Ste. 300, Phoenix, AZ 85003

I understand a draft of the Model Lighting Code will be presented to  MAG's
Economic Development Committee for review before the
next Dark Sky Stakeholders Group meeting;  .  Here is the link from MAG's
website of the people who represent the Economic Development Committee
http://www.azmag.gov/Committees/Committee.asp?CMSID577AG's  Please contact
these people as well mentioning the energy savings of thoughtful lighting, the
investment and return that has gone into our observatories and other research
facilities, the impact our dark sky has on tourism and costly health issues
relevant to an "all day" sky.

I was reminded that we should be especially mindful of the economic importance
of a dark sky to Maricopa county and Arizona when addressing  our
representatives.  Elizabeth Alvarez helped me add some advice, more references
to quote and learn from and some quotes.  It is important to clarify that dark
skies does not mean dark ground and that we save energy by the equivalent of
not watering the sidewalk.  We're talking about using light when, where, and in
the amounts needed and it's the WASTE of light that is NOT being well used
(that is "watering the sidewalks") that results in the energy savings.

In 2007, there was a booklet made by The Arizona Arts, Sciences and Technology
Academy titled _Astronomy, Planetary Sciences, and Space Sciences Research
Opportunities to Advance Arizona Economic Growth. The book is no longer in
print but it is on line and still often quoted in the dark sky efforts.  Here
is a link to that booklet:
http://www.azcommerce.com/doclib/innovation/aasta_apss_report_copy.pdf  Here
are some quotes from the book "(keep in mind that these are FY2006 numbers and
significant investment in AZ astronomy has continued since then):

  "This study found substantial capital investment (in excess of  $1billion)
in, and economic return (nearly a quarter of a billion dollars annually) from
astronomy, planetary sciences and space sciences research in Arizona."

"Arizona's world-class leadership in astronomy, planetary sciences and space
sciences features an extraordinary investment of facilities and equipment that
yield a significant economic return to the State.

The depth and breadth of research talent and innovation in these fields,
however, has not yet been successfully tapped by the State to expand and
diversify its high wage, advanced technology economic base.

Further, ever-growing levels of light pollution associated with urban
development are degrading the State's competitiveness as a site for ground
based optical astronomy.

This report's findings strongly suggest the need for policymakers to act
affirmatively to effectively leverage Arizona's competitiveness in these fields
while protecting the unique research base that exists within the State."

Here's another report from which you can quote:

Arizona's Aerospace & Defense Commission Annual Report, December 31 2010 (The
Commission is tasked with developing an aerospace and defense strategic plan
that builds synergy between government, industry and education.) search for the
words "dark" and "astronomy" and extract what you like.
http://www.azcommerce.com/doclib/innovation/aerospace%20&%20defense/reports/2010%20az%20ad%20commission%20annual%20report%20and%20strategic%20plan%20final.pdf
  Here are a couple I found:

". Some key activities completed for each of the subcommittees are:

Improve Business Environment:

1. Completed A&D Economic Impact Study

2. Developed A&D Value Proposition

3. Partnered with Dark Skies Initiative to collaborate on state-wide
regulations to preserve natural resources

4. Collaborated with Commerce Board A&D Growth Sector Committee and identified
key legislative incentives to help with retention of A&D industries in Arizona"

"Build Arizona's Research Competitiveness - 2011 Recommendations..

.Better leverage and market the State's Astronomy, Planetary Sciences, and
Space Sciences (APSSS) assets including Arizona Federally Funded Research
Development Centers (FFRDCs)."

Here's a quote from National Optical Astronomy Observatory News's  Article
"Kitt Peak Night Sky is Still Dark"   http://www.noao.edu/news/2010/pr1003.php

"The economic impact of astronomy on the state of Arizona is the equivalent of
bringing the Super Bowl and all of its associated economic activities to
Arizona at least every other year."

Thanks again!

Jennifer Polakis

M24@xxxxxxx