[AZ-Observing] Count of Leonids hitting the Moon

  • From: "Stanley A. Gorodenski" <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:54:05 -0800

I went out and observed the dark side of the moon for awhile to count
the number of Leonids hitting the moon - as if there would be any :-)
It became obvious that without previous experience it would be
impossible to recognize an impact from the flashes that once in awhile
occurs in my eyes, probably as the vitreuos fluid pulls on the back of
my eyeball. I did observe one interesting thing. There was a part of the
moon that persistently produced flashes. It was centered at a small
point like, but still extended, area that was lighter than the rest of
the dark side of the moon. My guess is that when I was looking at the
rest of the dark moon (the sunlit part was outside the field of view),
this area is in my averted vision, and once in awhile the brighter spot
on the moon stimulated a sensitive rod, causing what appeared to be a flash.
Stan