[AZ-Observing] Re: Coronado vs Lunt vs Thousand Oaks

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 05:58:31 -0700

Wayne,
I didn't know you worked at Lunt. It must have been an interesting
experience.

I think you are probably correct. The difference in price is attractive,
though. I imagine if one just wanted a scope to every now and then look
at a prominence, probably the TOaks is a good way to go. After I posted
my question I looked at Daystar's website. Maybe some of us forget about
them. They existed before Coronado and Lunt. At
http://www.daystarfilters.com/Quantum.shtml
they have a good description of what can be seen at the different
bandwidths. They produce a 0.3A unit for a mere $14,000. They still
require an f1/30 scope which means focal extenders. It also seems their
product has a definite shelf life I am not aware of with the other two
manufacturers. For awhile I was subscribed to the Daystar discussion
group and there was a discussion about a filter, or something like that,
that goes bad over time.
Stan