[AZ-Observing] Re: Copernicus in Good Light

  • From: DBogan3220@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:06:36 EDT

When I had my really good Mars observations with the bit of I believe it
was Jupiter was up, it was on one of those really late summer evenings with
the lower cumulus clouds that formed a layer that seemed to steady out the
seeing. These clouds as I recall were still pretty high up. It was a number
of  years ago. I think your right about the seeing always seems to be best
before  the coming of Cirrus clouds.

Dwight

In a message dated 3/14/2011 7:50:53 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
tpolakis@xxxxxxx writes:
----  DBogan3220@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Seeing can  sometimes be much improved  with high thin clouds present.
Some
> of my best visual  impressions of Mars has been had this way.

I know you wrote  "sometimes," but I'm going to have to go ahead and sort
of disagree you with  there.  All the planetary imaging I've done in the past
few years have  made me something of a student of seeing conditions.  My
observation has  been that we often have good seeing in the hours before the
arrival of cirrus  clouds, but the seeing is always unsteady once they are in
front of your  target.

On the other hand, seeing can be very good when lower cumulus  clouds are
in the area, as we see in Arizona during Summer.  And seeing  is often
excellent on foggy nights, but that's not something we get a lot of  in the
Southwest.

Tom