[AZ-Observing] Re: Compression Ring

  • From: Bob Christ <bchrist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 10:35:29 -0700

Stan, that tapered portion is designed to provide assurance that the diagonal
will not fall out if the fastening tension loosens-up.  This is a good thing.
My diagonal too has the taper and my visual back employs a compression ring,
and the combination works beautifully.  I remove the diagonal every time I
transport my scope and there is zero evidence of the compression ring being
torqued; this after many uses.

Bob Christ