[AZ-Observing] Comparison of M78 LRGB Vs Hydrogen Alpha

  • From: "Jon Christensen" <jonc97@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "EVAC -- The List" <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:41:11 -0700

I posted this to the SBIG list a while back but I thought it would be of
interest to you folks.
Peter Erdman shot a photo of M78 and vicinity in Hydrogen Alpha and noted how
completely different it looked than my LRGB version.  Hydrogen Alpha filters
filter out all but a narrow band of light at about 656 nm which is in the red
spectrum and is associated with glowing hydrogen.  LRGB pictures are made by
using clear, red, green and blue filters to try to approximate what the human
eye could see if it could accumulate light as efficiently as a CCD camera.  I
made a mouseover comparison of both images:

http://members.cox.net/jonc95/M78compare/m78.htm

The Hydrogen Alpha filter filters out much of the blue reflection nebulosity of
the main nebula, and brings out interesting swirly patterns in the gas not
visible in the LRGB version.  A lot of people mix LRGB and Hydrogen alpha
photos to try to get the best of both in their pictures, but some think what
you lose in the process is not worth it.

Jon Christensen