[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet near the sun

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 22:03:21 GMT

Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244 I remember my Mom waking us up to tell us there was a comet
in the sky. It turned out to be Comet Bennett (about 1966-7) and was easily
visible out our dining room window where we sat watching it while eating
breakfast in the dawn light. For some reason, though I was involved with
observing and telescope making at that time, I missed Ikeya-Seki. Mrkos was
slightly before my observing time, which I put at about 1958 when the first
satellites were being seen by people. The best of my early comets was West
(1976?), which I saw from Tucson when I was a student at UofA.
Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)