[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet NEAT on Satuday night

  • From: "Shaun Dixon" <wildcat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 16:49:31 -0700

> How bizarre that we have so few bright comets
> for several years and now NEAT, LINEAR and
> Bradfield all pop into the night sky. You can predict
> their orbits, but not their performance!

Wasn't this comet "predicted" to be around 1.2 magnitude this last weekend?

I finally got a chance to look at it myself in my small telescope (120mm f/5
refractor) and it looked pretty "neat" at both 24x and 60x. I actually
couldn't locate it naked-eye though from my house. Im on the outside of
Tucson, and thus I expected to see a 1.2 mag comet with ease from here. Oh
well, Im not complaining, as at least one night this weekend was clear to
the west for me to do some observing. Of course this night, the neighbor
turns his backyard light on, which lights up my entire backyard as well....
<grin>

Shaun Dixon - Tucson, AZ
http://www.daht.com/astro