[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet Machholz near the Pleiades

  • From: "Rotramel, Rick (AZ77)" <rick.rotramel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:17:39 -0700

All,

I took a peek last night too, with the 11x80's and with fast moving clouds
going by the area of the Pleiades about 9:30 PM. The comet looks a sparkly
bright snowball with hints of tails from a location in the middle of the
Phoenix light dome.

It does show up naked eye using averted vision. The view in the binos gave
an impression that it was maybe a tad brighter than last years' Comet NEAT.
A site on the net says C. Machholz is about Mag 3.7 these days.

I found some recent photos at this link:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/05jan_machholz.htm

Rick R.
SAC