[AZ-Observing] Comet Lulin in Libra

  • From: Chris Schur <comets133@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rik Hill <rhill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Az Observng list <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gallery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jerry Bonnell APOD <bonnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Joe Orman <joe.orman@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Wayne Johnson <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>, Albert Levy <alevy1@xxxxxxxxxx>, John O'Farrell <jofarrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Thelma/John Ofarrell <thelmaann@xxxxxxx>, Arthur Piccinati <apiccinati@xxxxxxxxx>, Rotramel Rick <rick.rotramel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robert Nemiroff APOD <nemiroff@xxxxxxx>, Dan Ward <danlward@xxxxxxx>, Peter Wehinger <pwehinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Susan Wyckoff <wyckoff@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 19:41:07 -0800 (PST)

HI all,

This is actually a very challenging photographic object because it is moving
fast against the background stars.  Brillianat cyan in color this 6th magnitude
object is currently within 5 degrees of orbital plane crossing and we can see
an stubby anti tail on the left side of this image.

Now for the interesting part as far as processing.  Normally when you shoot a
moving comet with a filtered CCD, your star trails are RGBRGB beads of light,
when you stack the nucleus of the comet.  Here, I tried a new technique to
bring most of the color back to the stars, and not see the rather undesirable
rainbow streaks.  But how was this accomplished?  Click here to see:

http://www.schursastrophotography.com/ccdimagepages/lulin090509.html

BTW, my web site now is protected with the highest level of firewall security
possible by my web site provider.  It is totally clean from any malware, and
should stay that way now.