[AZ-Observing] Comet Lovejoy is difficult in binoculars

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: SMTP <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 05:42:36 -0700

Howdy all;

An observation with my 8X42 binoculars from the RV park near
Wickenburg.

It is pretty clear in the early morning but there is a 90% illuminated
Moon above the horizon, so that there is no chance to get honestly dark
adapted.  In the binoculars I can pretty easily see M 13 in Hercules and
the comet is about 10 degrees away.  I estimate that the comet head is
about half a magnitude fainter than the globular cluster.  That is faint
enough to make the comet a difficult target in the little binoculars.  I
just barely hold it steady and it is never easy.  The comet and the
globular are about the same size.  Comet Lovejoy has no visible tail in
my binoculars, even with averted vision.

The weather man says that Friday might have some serious clouds and a
chance of rain, so this may be my last chance to view this comet for a
while.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe