[AZ-Observing] Comet Jacques

  • From: "J. D MADDY" <maddy0485@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 10:08:41 -0700

It was cloudy and rained until after midnight here. But, the skies cleared
nicely after. Here's the movement of Comet Jacques E2 over a two hour period
from 2 AM til 4 AM. The dreaded Arizona Dew hit just after I left the
observatory about 2 :15 AM. When I went out again at just before 4 AM, I
discovered it. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! I only encounter dew about 3 times per year
up here. I'm off to Walmart to pick up a dew heater. AKA heating pad. My last
heating pad worked well, but it gave out as it was over 20 years old.
Anyway, some nice clusters and an unsuspected nebula showed up in the picture.
I knew that NGC 896 was nearby, but did not know it was so large. This is a
stack of only two images to show the comet movement. It's moving thru
Cassiopeia at present. The dimming of the 4 AM comet is due to dew.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59454099@N00/14794813510/

JD Maddy
Clarkdale, AZ