[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet Holmes tonight

  • From: Frank Kraljic <fjkraljic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 23:37:59 -0700

On Tom's note, I would rate this comet in the top 10 astronomical
objects/event observed in my life.

The comet is golden in appearance, structurally no different than a
planetary nebula, similar to say NGC 6826 or perhaps the Eskimo.  At
400 and 560x with a 10-inch, the coma's soft perimeter is a shell
subtlety brighter than the interior, which has some faint mottling
north of the nucleus.  An outer halo-esque haze is vaguely apparent
around the coma, but under the full moon and city glow, is marginally
visible with do discernible structure.  A "plume" of material is
south and adjacent to the coma, half to 2/3rds the way to the
perimeter shell.  Seeing degrades at 560x, however I get the
impression of a faint arc just north by a few arc seconds of the
nucleus.

Thank you to everyone who posted notice, especially Brian Skiff with
his comment, "No, city lights + Full Moon are not a problem."  I went
outside and immediately noticed Perseus was not the same constellation.

-FRANK