[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet Holmes tonight

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 1:33:59 -0400

Not much to add to the great descriptions on this list.  I will say that it is
handling magnification quite well.  At 350x, I still don't see any size to the
perfectly centered nucleus.  I would hesitate to use this color in astronomical
descriptions, but I'm seeing it as orange.

Should we expect the diameter of the bright, circular shell to increase in the
coming days?

There are only a handful of times in my astro observing career where I knew
right away that I was seeing something for the first and last time.  The most
notable is still Jupiter after Comet S-L 9 in 1994, but this one is right up
there.

Tom