[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet Holmes and Alpha Persei

  • From: "Fran McHugh" <mcqz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:24:46 -0700

I've been observing the comet for the past week with my new
10x50 Celestron Ultima DX binoculars.  Our little town offers
pretty dark skies right outside the back door, as long as I
remember to turn off the motion detector lights.

Last week I could point out the comet to friends and family
and they could find it fairly easily with averted eye.  Of
course they were blown away by the view through the binos
once they knew where to look.

Now, I can just barely make out the comet with naked eyes
after my eyes have fully adjusted, 20 - 30 minutes, using
averted eye.  However, the view through the 10x50s is still
spectacular.

The Celestron binos are fantastic!  I've only been able to
compare them to locally available models in possession of
my friends, but they bring out so much more detail and are
so sharp all the way to the edge that there is no comparison.
I especially like the twist up eyecups, which simplify the
sharing process.  Since my glasses correct both eyes to a
close approximation of 20x20, I can hand off the binoculars
to someone with good vision and all that is necessary is
a couple of twists - no re-focus.  The focusing knob is a
little bit tight, but it seems to be loosening up with use.
I also got the tripod adapter which works well, but only for
relatively low viewing.  Above about 45 degrees, the tripod
gets in the way!  I guess now I need to get a tripod adapter
adapter or make something to stabilize the view when handheld.

The binos, the little ETX-90, and my Sky Scout w/green laser
will get a workout tomorrow evening at our small star party
at Homolovi State Park.  The temp is supposed to get down to
40F by midnight, so we'll be bundled up but the viewing has
been spectacular from that site.  The only problem is figuring
out which star is which with the myriad "new" ones added
to the mix!

Clear Skies!
Fran