[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet Garradd and SN 2011fe

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 23:04:11 GMT

15480 Empire Rd.
Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244

Mark,

Nice report on the SN in M101 and the comet.

You can go to http://www.rochesterastronomy.org/snimages/index.html for
reference images of SN2011fe and other SNe. I saw SN 2011fe as about twice as
bright as the foreground star you mentioned. The SN in M81, SN 1993J, was about
the same brightnesss, though it was a Type II and intrinsically fainter. I have
not found good charts on the web either. AAVSO has a charting program, but is a
bit balky. Note that SN 2011dh in M51 is still hanging on at about magn 14.5,
and is about the second brightest SN in the sky.

Comet Garradd has been interesting in the objects that it has been visiting. I
don't think I've ever seen a comet in the same field with two globular clusters
on different days. It was near M15 and then about a week later, M71. Years ago
I saw (and imaged) Comet Hale-Bopp when it was first discovered in the same
field as M70.

Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)

From: Mark Wainright <mwainright@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Comet Garradd and SN 2011fe
To: "az-observing" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, August 29, 2011, 11:52 PM

Hi,
I went out to Mobile tonight to find both Comet Garradd and SN 2011fe.
&#65533;I just pulled off into the desert near 83rd Ave. and Nahalia Rd. south
of AZ-238. &#65533;It was dark enough and peaceful and a little warm.
&#65533;It is also a quick drive from Chandler.

Comet Garradd was an easy find in Sagitta with a 10" dob. &#65533;It was
sporting a short, faint, fan shaped tail. &#65533;The view of the comet through
15x70 binos was also very nice with the comet passing through a pretty star
field.

SN 2011fe is much brighter than any of the foreground stars in front of or near
M101. &#65533;I took a finder photo with me, but it was useless because I was
having trouble making out any foreground stars except for the one near the
core. &#65533;Fortunately, I had a finder chart printed from Sky Tools 3.
&#65533;The SN was obvious according to the finder chart. &#65533;It is the
brightest SN I remember seeing compared to its host galaxy. &#65533;I will have
to look back through my logs to see if I have seen any brighter. &#65533;Any
charting program that can download current SN data will be a nice help in
identifying the SN, but if in the next few days or weeks you see the brightest
point of light on the edge of M101, that is the SN. &#65533;No averted vision
required.

I also visited a few Messier favorites, then headed home.

Clear, cool skies,
Mark Wainright