[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet Garradd and Jupiter

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: maddy0485@xxxxxxx, amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, taaaforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 11:05:10 GMT

Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244 Thanks, JD for your very nice image of Comet Garradd going
by M15. It encouraged me to check out the comet when I finally got a hole in
the cloud cover. Congratulations to Gordon for finding such a nice comet! In my
finder/binoculars the comet seemed a little bigger and fainter than M15 which
was a few degrees away on a line diametrically opposite from the star Enif. In
my 13-in telescope I saw Comet Garradd as being about the same size as M15,
having a much brighter, nearly stellar, coma which was on the NNW side of a
2.5:1 oval, no distinctive tail evident. It moved about 30arcsec in a westerly
direction in the 15 minutes I observed the comet beginning around 2:45am local
AZ time. I also enjoyed a nice view of Jupiter. It had a fairly tight grouping
of moons (Io, Callisto, and Europa) in a scalene triangle that appeared to be a
little larger than the disk of Jupiter. Ganymede was seen a little farther out
from the triangle. The NEB is still showing nice, knotty structure and is a bit
more obvious than the SEB which seems to be making a resurgence. There is an
interesting belt farther north of the NEB that looks like a faint dashed line.
Still no GRS! Has it faded that much, or is my timing bad for observing it?
Finally, it looks like Mira is making a comeback. I see it at about 4th
magnitude. It was a pleasant, calm, almost cool, night, but with high humidity.
I noticed my telescope end-cap was pretty wet when I packed up for the night,
and I heard water dripping off my garage roof. It was cloudy the entire day,
but the clouds dissipated long enough for me to observe for a little over an
hour and then they re-formed. The seeing was quite good with good transparency,
though there was a large cloud bank over Tucson brightening the skies somewhat.
Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)