[AZ-Observing] Comet Challenge for Sentinel-Schwaar Star Gaze

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 19:44:03 -0700

Howdy all;

Pierre Schwaar enjoyed looking at comets and I have notes from many nights
that we went out because there was a good comet to view.  With him in mind,
I created a Comet Challenge for the Sentinel-Schwaar Star Gaze this Nov. 17
and 18.  If you have never attended this star party before, the directions
are below.

I have prepared a simple packet that contains the materials for the Comet
Challenge for the Sentinel-Schwaar Star Gaze '06.  Essentially; the rules
are:  observe 4 comets over the New Moon weekend and get the observations to
me.  I will make up a certificate for everyone who meets that challenge and
you will have a certificate and the gratitude of all who participate.

Yes, you imaging crazies can take pictures and provide them as well.  Why
not let you in on the fun?

For those of you not planning to be at the SAC meeting this Friday, I can
send you an attachment (it is a small Word document) and you can print it
out for yourself and join in.  Just send me an email with a return address
that can accept an attachment.

Stan Clark, I will send you an email and we can get it up on the web site.

Thanks, and clear skies to all;

Steve Coe

The Sentinel-Schwaar Star Gaze is a chance for astronomers to meet at an
Arizona dark sky site.  It is sponsored by the Deep Sky Group of the Saguaro
Astronomy Club in memory of Pierre Schwaar.  There is no registration and no
fee to attend, just show up and enjoy the night sky.  In the past, folks
have arrived on Friday, for two nights of observing.  There are no
facilities at the site; it is just a large flat area in the middle of the
desert southwest.  It gets both hot and cold, depending on the whim of the
weather, so bring cool water and warm clothes.  Please be courteous about
white light, many observers and photographers are going after very dim
objects.

To get to the site, drive to Gila Bend, AZ. and get on the I-8 freeway going
west toward Yuma.  The Sentinel exit is #87, about 30 miles west from Gila
Bend.  Take the exit and go south, across the railroad tracks.  Go straight
south on the dirt road and drive 2 miles until you see a large, flat area of
the desert to your left, white rocks mark the site.  It is before a cattle
guard.  YOU ARE THERE!