[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) In March

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 22:16:56 -0700

Tom;

Curt Renz on cloudy nights website has said that it seems to be about
one magnitude fainter than the original estimates.  Maybe a trip around
the sun will heat it up enough to make a fine tail, we shall see.

Jennifer, yes it does seem that the Messier Marathon is at the right
time to view this comet over the distant Antennnas.

I do remember there was a nice comet above the MM in the 1990's, it was
naked eye and had a 10 or 12 degree straight tail.  I just looked up my
notes, it was Ikeya-Zhang and it was 2002 at Arizona City.  It is always
great to have a comet to view in honor of the most famous comet hunter.

Lots of fun;
Steve Coe