[AZ-Observing] Comet C/2009 R1 McNaught Image Posted

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:13:30 -0400

Comet McNaught has really developed nicely.  Jenn and I viewed it for the
second straight morning at Kaibab Lodge, near the North Rim of the Grand
Canyon.  I used an unconventional equatorial mount to take a 3-minute exposure
through a 200mm lens.  The mount is the tracking platform for a 10-inch scope
that also nicely supports a photo tripod.  The other details are f/4 and ISO
1000 on a Canon 50D.  SQM readings for the site before the Milky Way rose were
21.85 to 21.90.

http://members.cox.net/tpolakis/astro/IMG_3228.jpg

What initially appeared to be some sort of defect just to the right of the coma
turns out to be NGC 891, a beautiful edge-on galaxy.  The bright star in the
field is Almach (Gamma Andromedae).

Tom