[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet Animation

  • From: "Jon Christensen" <jonc97@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 18:03:53 -0700

The chip in my camera is an interline NABG chip and it is my understanding
that it is not designed to be used for science.  Having said that, I ran a
program called CCD sharp which allows you to analyze the 'stellar profile'
of an object in the picture of your choosing.  I did that with the comet on
many of the frames and here is the result it gave me:

Time    Max pixel value

10:45     4365

10:47     5116

10:48     6157

10:49     6007

10:51     4623

10:52     4806

10:53     6780

10:55     7241

10:56     5435

10:57     5829

10:59     7224

11:00     8291

11:01     6580

11:05     8155

11:10     8144

11:16     7907

11:17     8796

11:18     11620

11:20     11083

11:21     10070

11:22     9258

11:24     11313

11:25     12314

11:26     12723

11:32     12175

11:37     9839

11:42     9197

11:48     10410

11:53     9325

11:58     7846

12:04     9215

I don't know how scientific this analysis is but the brightest pixels were
limited to a very small area of the comet and I couldn't tell the difference
visually from image to image.

One last thing, note the sizes of the stars between the two frames of the
Kitt peak animation.  Not only does the comet nucleus get bigger, but the
stars around it get bigger as well, which makes me a bit skeptical about
whether the animation truly shows what was happening visually with the
comet.

Jon