[AZ-Observing] Comet 144P/Kushida

  • From: Jeremy Perez <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 01:25:43 -0700

Comet 144P/Kushida is riding high in Taurus now, but the moon is
sneaking up on it. I observed it over the last couple nights and
found it sliding past a linear arrangement of four stars. It appeared
as a soft, evenly round disc with a degree of condensation of about
3. On Thursday night Jan 1/2, it was difficult to analyze for
symmetry, since the core was resting within a few arc seconds of a
13th magnitude star. At that time, its diameter appeared to be about
3 to 4 arc minutes. I observed it again 2 hours and 15 minutes later
that night and noticed eastward movement of about 1.5 arc minutes.

Tonight, Jan 2/3, it had moved about 15 arc minutes to the east-
southeast. The moon was brighter, and the coma appeared a bit smaller
as a result, but it was still symmetrical. It should still be
fluorescing at 8th or 9th magnitude toward the end of the month as
the moon swings back out of the way. Give it a look if you have the
opportunity.

The sketch and additional details can be found here:
http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/001297.html

Clear skies,
Jeremy
http://beltofvenus.perezmedia.net