[AZ-Observing] Comet 103P/Hartley from Tzec Maun Observatory

  • From: Victor Herrero <hubbleed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tzec Maun Observatory Support <support@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Lolita Levine <lolita.levine@xxxxxxxxx>, "Litvak, Stacy" <Stacy.Litvak@xxxxxxxxx>, Miguel Enriquez <miguel.enriquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Arturo Garcia Cole <cole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ramon Menendez <OVIEDO126@xxxxxxxxx>, TAAA Forum <taaaforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, azObserving <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Peter Lammers <peterlammers@xxxxxxx>, Steven Peterson c <ccdcat@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 14:55:17 -0700

Comet 103P/Hartley from Tzec Maun Observatory
This image of the comet:
http://blog.tzecmaun.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/hartley-adj.jpg

was taken by the staff of Tzec Maun Observatory on September 30, using a
Takahashi Epsilon 180 F2.8 located at New Mexico Skies.

The camera configuration in this telescope is new for the academic year that
has started: a Canon 50D DSLR with the original infrared blocking filter
removed, to allow more hydrogen-alpha light for imaging nebulae.

Pueblo High School Students in Tucson Arizona used Tzec Maun telescopes in
Moorook Australia, observing in the morning in Tucson, during two
opportunities last semester.

The Students have been inspired by taking the images themselves. At the same
time we image some of the objects, we download Hubble, Palomar/Siding Spring
Survey images, and others, for comparison and  discussion.

My many thanks to the Tzec Maun Foundation for providing telescope time to
Students at Pueblo HS.

Victor Herrero