[AZ-Observing] Re: Collimation Consensus

  • From: Wayne Westlake <24launch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 11:59:52 -0700

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

My primary scope is the Orion SkyQuest XT10 Classic Dobsonian, 10",
254mm aperture and 1200mm focal length, F4.7

The F4.7 is a fast mirror right?

Rick what did you mean by "unless you colimating a fast scope, the
difference is not that noticable."  Is the laser collimator better or
worse to use on a fast scope than other methods?

I'd bought the Orion laser collimator and days after I received it I
saw they advertised the Deluxe one with the target on it for aligning
the secondary.  Debated about exchanging it but in the end kept the
lesser model.  Just seems I can't quite get things lined up correctly.
 I know I need to just bring it to one of the Star Parties (I'm a SAC
member) and ask for some help.  But I was just curious if the laser
collimator was a good tool or an expensive, fancy toy for "quick &
dirty" collimation.

Wayne