[AZ-Observing] Re: Cold (extreme) weather boots

  • From: "L Knauth" <Knauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 22:22:00 -0700

The always generous Beevo gave me a pair of electric socks that he bought at
WalMart.  I have used them for about 5 years with a light, low-cut boot.  They
work great.  The trick is to wear a pair of sweat pants over the top of regular
pants and use the lower elastic band to help support the D-cell battery.
Otherwise, the battery can slide down to your ankle (the sweats are a great
outer layer for warmth).
This is an alternative to heavy, klunky boots if you go up and down a step
ladder during an observing run (a good way to stay warm, BTW).
Never seen 'em at WalMart, but there seem to be a lot of heated socks on line.
Some seem to have a cord to a battery you can put in your pocket.
Paul Knauth

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat