[AZ-Observing] Re: Cold Weather Wear

  • From: "William R Wood" <wmrwood@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:35:32 -0700

Have not heard of wool underwear in 20 years :o)  Last stuff I saw was
military gear and it was impossibly itchy.  My favorite is a suit of Damart
which is part vinyon and part acrylic but you can't buy Damart products in
the US anymore.

The current crop of underwear for cold weather is a silky fleece type stuff.
They have some nice looking black ones at REI about $28 for a top and same
for the bottom.  But the REI stock is medium weight and I want heavy for
astro purposes since you are standing still.

I buy everything on the internet now.  Try Cabelas.com, their stuff is
excellent and they have good descriptions of the various fabrics.
Unfortunately the best is not cheap.  Also look at Wickers.com, recommended
by the makers of Damart as a good replacement for Damart.  LLBean.com also
has nice stuff including Duofold underwear which is wool outside and cotton
inside.

Some of these places have free shipping during the holiday sales.

Regards,

Bill Wood
Fountain Hills, AZ