[AZ-Observing] Re: Cloudy at Messier Marathon

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 23:58:10 GMT

15480 Empire Rd.
Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244

I tried responding to your email earlier, Steve, but Windows 7 decided to crash
on me. I pride myself in being able to break any software, but this was a
first. I wasn't even trying, but I think the system was being insistent on
doing an update.

Anyway, we had mostly cloudy skies here last night as well, at least until
midnight. I kept poking my head out from 8pm until then and finally gave up. It
was mostly clear when I woke up and checked at 5am, but it was too late to do
any observing by then.

However, the night before was about as good as it gets here and I spent a good
amount of time scanning along the southern horizon with my 25-inch. I had great
views of Omega Centauri and Centaurus A and the stars nearby were nearly
pinpoint even up to a couple degrees above the horizon. I must note that my
southern horizon is a few degrees above the true horizon because I'm in a small
valley. For example, I can see Canopus driving to my house, but cannot see it
from my location. I also had a great time exploring in the Coma Berenices
galaxy cluster. I mentioned seeing several dozen galaxies in a multiple field
sweep of Hydra I a post or two ago, but here in Coma you can see several dozen
galaxies in _one_ field! Very neat. I rounded out the evening observing several
globular clusters in Scorpius and Sagittarius, including one of my personal
favorites, M22, which never fails to disappoint. It was exquisite!

Since I had a break last night, I hope we have some good viewing tonight and,
of course, Saturday night for the Messier Marathon!

Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)