[AZ-Observing] Clear streak ends

  • From: Brian Skiff <Brian.Skiff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 02:38:45 -0700 (MST)

     Well, pals and gals, there was a fair bit of intermittent and very
widely scattered cirrus tonight, mostly old contrails.  This was quite
sufficient to kick the night out of the 'photometric' category, thus ending
the long series of perfectly clear nights.  A visitor from muggy, cloudy
Florida thought the sky was astonishing even before Moonset (naked eye limit
of mag. 6.5 to 6.7 with 65%-illuminated Moon up), and was gaga afterwards,
but it was nevertheless a bit murky.
     Obviously I spoke too soon, and I'm sure there'll be a new voodoo about
talking about it being clear for long stretches that will bring on clouds.
I suspect even so that this very thin stuff will clear out in a day or two and
then we'll have another week (or two or three) of clear nights.  Examining the
circulation pattern down in Mexico suggests it's not even thinkin' about the
monsoon pattern setting up yet.

\Brian

last clear night guesses

June 22  Bob Erdmann
     25  Tom Polakis (+/- 1 day)
     26
     27
     28
     29
June 30  Brian Skiff
July 1   Jack Jones
     2   Russell Chmela
     3
     4   Matt Luttinen, Frank Kraljic
     5   Thad Robosson
     6   Brian Workman
     7
     8

    17   Jeff Vandecar

June 2002 - Flagstaff Nighttime Cloudiness

1    photom (7,3)
2    cloudy  [Winterstorm 37]
3    spectro
4    photom (7,5)